Monday, November 3, 2008

Election 2008: Preamble

"We are living in dangerously weird times now. Smart people just shrug and admit they're dazed and confused. The only ones left with any confidence at all are the New Dumb. It is the beginning of the end of our world as we knew it. Doom is the operative ethic." - Hunter S. Thompson in 2000

Election day tomorrow. Tonight and tomorrow night will make up for a lack of Halloween post. I promise.

I have been asked to vote for either big ticket candidate so many times over the last 3 days. Very few actual people on the other end, mostly computers. Of what interest is the election to the machines?

John McCain had one real person on the line, and dozens of robots. Barack Obama had two real people, and a few less robots than McCain. Either way its fairly annoying. By this point I know for whom I cast my meaningless ballot. I know which front social issues I will be voting for. I am not a single issue voter by any means, but I do know that the same overarching agendas will be advanced either way. Major change will not come from an election in this country, not anymore.

I vote to sooth my conscience, I vote tomorrow in the hope that I am just paranoid and cynical and maybe mentally ill. Maybe the candidates are not in the pocket of the same corporate interests they have been since Marine Major General Smedley Butler was asked to help overthrow President Roosevelt and institute a fascist corporate state ruled by the rich and powerful of the day. Maybe its all just a weird coincidence. Maybe my vote counts.

Be careful at the polls kids. NORTHCOM is on high alert and every police force in the country seems to be expecting "Civil Unrest".

More later.

No comments: